The Tarot has been involved in many stigmas throughout history. In this article we intend to explain 6 myths about the Tarot that we have all thought at some point in our lives.
1. One must have "powers" or "the gift" to learn Tarot.
2. The cards are related to the devil
Tarot cards are sheets or cards with drawings that you can learn to interpret. They help you to understand your present so that you can focus on your future. They are neither good nor bad, this simply depends on personal beliefs.
3. You may be told that you or someone else is going to die.
Through the cards you cannot see if someone is going to pass away. They are a tool to understand and interpret your present and see the best way to move forward.
4. Tarot is linked to witchcraft.
Tarot is a 78-card deck believed to have originated in Italy in the 15th century. Although throughout its history it has been related to various spiritual traditions, nowadays, due to its great symbolic richness, it is used by psychologists, counselors and artists as a therapeutic tool or source of inspiration.
5. What appears in a reading is destiny and cannot be changed/ The cards condition you.
Through the cards you can see the energies of the present, what elements must be worked on and from there generate your own future. The Tarot defends Free Will, the cards indicate, but do not sentence and the querent is the only one responsible for their decisions. It is very important to consult with professionals of quality and trust that they do not try to condition you with their reading as indicated by the Código Ético del Tarot.
6. If you get the card of "Death", "The Devil" or "The Tower" it means that something bad is going to happen.
Each card has a symbolism and depending on the surrounding cards it takes on one meaning or another. These cards that have negative social connotations also have their positive symbolism. For example, the death card represents change and evolution.
What is Tarot?
The Tarot is a deck of cards of unknown origin and is the direct ancestor to our modern deck. It seems that these cards are inspired by the depth of human experience and the deepest level of the psyche. The Tarot functions as an oracle and is composed of two parts:
- 22 major arcanas – these cards represent universal archetypes of human experience. In a Tarot reading they represent those things of great importance.
- 56 minor arcana – are the symbol of the 4 elements (earth, fire, air and water) and each of them is represented by a suit of the deck (pentacles, wands, swords and cups). In a Tarot reading they provide details and concrete information.
Tarot works like a magnifying mirror that shows you as you are and helps you understand yourself better. It is a tool of self-knowledge that allows you to better understand your situation and guides you on the best way to move forward.
Following Rocío, tarotist of miistico, explains us what a Tarot session is like and what it consists of.